What’s Your Responsibility?
- To undertake only what the veterinarian authorizes or directs
- To perform work in the manner directed by the veterinarian.
- To employ his/her best care and skill in performing all work for the veterinarian; not to undertake any work he/she is not capable of performing satisfactorily.
- To NOT diagnose, prognose, prescribe, initiate treatment, or perform surgery.
- To personally examine the animal before the CVT carries out any procedure.
- To direct, control, and supervise the conduct of the CVT in his/her work.
- To authorize or require the CVT to perform only such work as the veterinarian knows that the technician is capable of performing.
- To direct the CVT to perform his/her work in the proper method and manner.
- No one may use a CVT to staff a separate place of business without direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian on the premises.